Public Works

Road Hazards

If you are aware of a road hazard (i.e. a missing stop sign, dangerous washout or dead animal on the road), please notify us at (705) 382-3232 during office hours Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (If you leave a message please include time, date, and nature of emergency).

For after-hours roads emergencies, please call or text Public Works Supervisor Lloyd Van Duzen at (705) 783-0064.

Speed Limits

Speed limits within the Township of Ryerson are set at 60 kph on all roads, unless signed otherwise.

Load Restrictions 

Half loads are in effect from February 15th to May 31st each year, unless posted otherwise under Public Notices on our Website, as a means to try to protect the integrity of the roads during the spring thaw. The Township of Ryerson monitors thaw progression by utilizing the forecast temperature data from Environment Canada and Weather Network to calculate the Thaw Index. When the Thaw Index reaches its threshold value, the load restrictions are imposed. Depending on the progression of the spring thaw, restrictions can come into effect quickly, sometimes with only a few days’ notice.

Please keep this time period in mind if you are planning to get a load of logs or building supplies delivered to your property in the spring. Once the road integrity has been restored, the load restrictions are removed.

Fallen Trees

Any trees or debris obstructing the roadways should be reported to the Municipal Office at (705) 783-0064.

Trees fallen on hydro wires should be reported to Hydro One at 1-800-434-1235.

Hydro One – Power Outage Map

Trees fallen on Bell Lines call: 1-866-310-2355

Winter Parking On Roadways

 Pursuant to the Highway Traffic Act RSO 1990, Section 170 (12): no person shall park or stand a vehicle on a highway in such a manner as to interfere with the movement of traffic. Every person who parks their vehicle on the roadside during the winter months will have their vehicle tagged and towed at the OWNER’S EXPENSE.

No person shall park or stand a vehicle on a highway in such a manner as to interfere with the movement of traffic or the clearing of snow from the highway. Section 170 (15): an officer appointed for the carrying out of the provisions of this Act, upon discovery of any vehicle parked or standing in contravention of subsection (12) ..may cause it to be moved or taken to and placed or stored in a suitable place and all costs or charges for removing, care and storage thereof, if any are a lien upon the vehicle.

Please remember that plowing or placing snow onto or across municipal roads is prohibited under the Ontario Traffic Act. By doing this, ditches are filled in and are unable to function properly leading to washouts in the spring and icy roads in the winter.

Clearing Snow On Your Property

The Township devotes a great deal of resources to keep streets clear of snow and ice after a snowfall. Residents often deposit snow and ice from their property onto the street, not realizing that this contravenes the Ontario Traffic Act, contributes to unsafe driving and walking conditions, and increases the cost of providing winter road maintenance. When you’re clearing snow from your driveway, please keep this snow on your propertyDo not put the cleared snow from your driveway into a municipal ditch. Your efforts in making winter driving and walking safe for everyone are appreciated.

Go Slow In Snow

Slow down and drive according to the weather conditions, not the speed limit. During a storm, posted speed limits are usually too fast. Conditions are unpredictable and change rapidly. Adjust your speed and allow yourself extra travel time. Avoid sudden moves, starts or stops. Start slowly on slick snowy roads and brake gradually, giving yourself plenty of space. Steer gently into turns to maintain control. Be visible and use your low-beam headlights when it is snowing. They are brighter than daytime running lights and will turn on your tail lights.

Road Allowances 

Road allowances refer to allowances originally laid out for roads by a Crown surveyor, including both road allowances shown on an original Township survey and road allowances shown along the water in a plan of subdivision. Road allowances are generally 66 feet in width.

Road allowances made by the Crown surveyors that are located in municipalities and road allowances, highways, streets and lanes shown on a registered plan of subdivision, are identified in Section 26 of the Municipal Act, (2001) as highways – unless they have been closed. A highway is owned by the municipality that has jurisdiction over it, subject to any rights reserved by a person who dedicated the highway or any interest in the land held by any other person (s. 30) With some exceptions, as further specified in the Municipal Act (2001), a local municipality has jurisdiction over:

  • all road allowances located in the municipality that were made by the Crown surveyors;
  • all road allowances, highways, streets and lanes shown on a registered plan of subdivision; and
  • a municipality may by by-law, assume an unopened road allowance made by the Crown surveyors and all road allowances, highways, streets and lanes shown on a registered plan of subdivision for public use.
  • Use of road allowance by-law

2021 Public Works Projects

  • Application of a 4″ granular 'A' lift on 3.9 km of James Camp Road
  • Application of a sealed RAP surface on 4.2 km of Midlothian Road
  • Installation of roadside barriers along Midlothian Road, near the Magnetawan River
  • Restoration of the Municipal Office
Get In Touch